Homemade Valentine Cookie Gift Jars

Create a Valentine Cookie Jar for Valentine's Day & create a magical memory for a loved one. 


My kiddo made one of these jars for her Grandma at Christmas, & her reaction was priceless! A couple of days later they were both in the kitchen, apron-clad, & elbow deep in flour! Much giggling ensued & squeals of excitement erupted from my girl. The yummy cookies were shared with the rest of the family, so the gift spread a little love even further!

With Valentine's Day coming up I thought this would be an ideal gift to prompt some father & daughter time in the kitchen!

What you'll need:
1 Kilner jar (I picked up 3 for £2 from a local supermarket)
2 cups of plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 bag of M&M’s

When we made our jar my girl weighed out all the ingredients with me & added them to the jar, pausing only once to sample a couple of the M&M's!

How to create the Gift Jar:
1. Add the flour, bicarb of soda, & salt to the jar. (It may look like the flour fills the jar, but by just pressing the mixture down using your knuckles it will soon compact, & should fill half the jar.)


2. To create the next layer add the brown sugar, again pressing it firmly down.
3. Add the white sugar for the next layer


4. Finally sprinkle the M&M's over the white sugar to complete the contents of the jar.


To decorate the jar we added some ribbon & a small heart-shaped cookie cutter which I tied with some raffia.


We made a card for the Gift Jar & added the instructions for how to make the cookies. We'd been making heart shape prints a few days before so added these to the front, & I printed out the baking instructions to stick inside the card.


Here's a copy of  the instructions we used:

To the best Daddy in the whole world,
Thank you for everything you do for me. I would like to do something for you but I will need a little help. I love it when we spend time together & can’t wait to make these with you.

We will need:
1 egg
3/4 cup of butter (at room temp)
1 tsp of vanilla essence
1) Empty the contents of this jar into a bowl & mix
2) Beat together the egg, butter & vanilla & add to the dry ingredients
3) Our dough should now look a little crumbly
4) Shape into small balls (1inch)
5) Place on a baking tray & cook in the oven (180oc) for 10-15mins until the edges start to brown

Happy Valentine’s Day Daddy!
Lots & lots of love



My kiddo is very excited about giving this jar to her Daddy, although I think there might be an ulterior motive! ♥

This gift is also perfect for Mother's Day, Christmas, or Grandparent's Day.